07 September 2011

America the Beautiful

Now that I'm back in Paris, I'm trying to fully appreciate the scope of all the amazing things we saw on this trip and still overwhelmed! I never really related to patriotic songs before, but I have to say, despite its failings, I come from a very beautiful country. Our National Parks Pass was entitled America the Beautiful after the poem/song by Katherine Lee Bates. I really never thought I'd be quoting it, but turns out to be a not inaccurate resume of our trip (it's just missing a bit about geothermic areas - or perhaps a whole separate song about Yellowstone - so here's a pic of that to start us off).


Oh beautiful for spacious skies


For amber waves of grain


For purple mountains majesties


Above the fruited plains (what fruited plains? She either made this up, or I just spent too much time in Death Valley. Have you all seen fruited plains?)


America

America


God shed his grace on thee


And crown thy good with brotherhood


From sea (here the Pacific)


To shining sea (and here the Atlantic)


Hope you enjoyed following the trip! Back to our regularly scheduled program as soon as the jetlag wears off and I start actually cooking again!

6 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Splendid, indeed! Heavenly.

Cheers,

Rosa

Melanie said...

I love the Brotherhood photograph.

PG said...

Lovely pictures! Welcome home.

Hopie said...

Thanks girls! That brotherhood photo is from an awesome independent radical bookstore in Seattle.

Anonymous said...

My favorite might be the American flag umbrella. :) Nice post, and welcome back!

Ren said...

Awesome post.