19 October 2009

Seasonal Food and World Food Day

So, I missed World Food Day this year. I've been sick and run down with things to do and I started to lose the train of them a few days ago (just in time for World Food Day). But better late than never, as they say, so I'll tell you about it anyway...



World Food Day is a day set aside by the World Food Programme to focus on issues of hunger and famine with this year's theme being "Achieving Food Security in Times of Crisis". We are also encouraged to focus on what we can do personally to prevent hunger in the world and in our communities.



Last year, a couple of amazing bloggers came up with the idea of creating a network devoted to working on the issue. Bloggeraid Changing the Face of Famine supports the World Food Programme and particularly the School Meals Programme, and to this end we've been writing a cookbook -- which is almost finished! (Stayed tuned because you'll all be encouraged to buy it when it comes out for sale on Amazon :-)) In the meantime, bloggeraid has created a partnership with The Cookbook People, whose cookbook software helps you create and print your own family cookbook. They have generously agreed to donate $20 to the School Meals Programme when a member mentions them on her/his blog. It was the least I could do.


As I was feeling sad for not having cooked something hearty and inexpensive and posted it for Oct. 16, I realized that I actually had -- in my guest posts for Seasonal Market Menus. In my CSA, I get cheap, local and seasonal vegetables and cook with them every week. So, although the meals are separate from the World Food Day chat, you should head over and check out Potato, Peppers and Greens Frittata, Insalata Caprese and How I Learned to Like Swiss Chard.

Also to look forward to: as part of the Bloggeraid View and Review initiative, I will soon be critiquing Divine: Heavenly Chocolate Recipes with a Heart...

6 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Sorry to hear you have been under the weather Hopie, but no matter what day you post this it brings awareness to those in need of whatever help we can give them.

giz said...

Feel better Hope. Thanks also for participating - every $20 counts (at .25/meal - that's a lot of filled tummies)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I hope you are feeling better now...

Cheers,

rosa

Hopie said...

Val - Thanks. I'm glad to be able to help.

Giz - Indeed it is a lot of filled tummies. How could I not put a little mention on my blog under those circumstances.

Rosa - Still working on shaking off the exhaustion! Hopefully I'll be tip top soon.

PG said...

Sorry to hear you're under the weather.

Thank you for posting about The Cookbook People -- it reminds me that I need to remember to post about them in my next post.

Hopie said...

Psychgrad - Thanks, I'm feeling better now! Glad to be a reminder :-)